Monday, November 16, 2009

Cruisin' -- Part 3 -- Tuesday


Tuesday morning we woke up on the Carnival Paradise.  Our room was clean and my bed was very comfortable -- I dare say it might be even better than ours at home.  It's a small room, about 10 feet by 10 feet, and they got four beds into there -- two pushed together side-by-side like a king-size bed, and two suspended on the walls, one above the head of the king-size bed and one on the other side of the room.  The thought of having the room permanently arranged like this was a bit overwhelming, but this is where the cruise housekeeping earns their gratuity -- every morning they'd straighten out the sheets and fold up the wall beds, in addition to replenishing towels and other hotel-y stuff, and every evening they'd turn down the beds, open up the wall beds and set up the ladders to climb up into them, and leave behind a short stack of mint chocolates next to an origami towel animal.



Breakfast was buffet, with an omelet bar -- my favorite kind.  I was surprised to see how people had left their good manners behind on this trip though.  A few people ahead of me in line was a (large) man, getting food.  Right behind him were probably about five or six people waiting for their scrambled eggs and pancakes.  One of them got up a little too close while reaching for a ladle, and he suddenly yelled at her to apologize for having bumped into him.

Great, I'm on a boat with this guy.  Ugh.  Oh well, whatever.  I'm glad I didn't bump into him (quite literally) during the rest of the cruise.

Anyways, Tuesday we went to Catalina Island, apparently taking the longest possible route from Long Beach.  I estimated that if we traveled all night long, in a straight line without stopping, we would've had to go the breakneck speed of two miles an hour.

On Catalina we took a bus tour to the middle of the island.  We got to see some bison

and some crazy good views from high up on an island.


That's our ship!

We also got to hear some of the bus driver's punny jokes.  I'm a sucker for puns, and he had quite a few of them.

What did the mommy bison say to her son as he walked away?  "Bye, son."

What did the eucalyptus trees say when the tour bus scraped against the bark?  "You clipped us."

1 comment:

  1. I am a sucker for a good pun ~ I would have married that bus driver!

    ReplyDelete