Monday, July 27, 2009

House rules

I wonder, sometimes, if my rules are too strict, and prevent my girls from making enough mistakes to learn from them and doing things "outside the box". What do you think?

Some of my non-negotiables:
  • Hold hands when walking anywhere that cars go: streets, intersections, parking lots. This rule is to be followed even when there are no cars to be seen for miles around.
  • Stay within sight of the parents. No running too far ahead, no lagging too far behind.
  • No jumping on furniture unless it's a trampoline or inflated jump house.
  • No throwing anything heavier than a balloon inside the house.
  • Naptime is to be strictly enforced.
  • No TV before naptime, and even then, not too close to bedtime, and certainly no more than one hour of it. Preferably just one half-hour episode of a short list of approved shows: Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einsteins, Handy Manny, Electric Company, Between the Lions, Sesame Street, VeggieTales. Absolutely no Tom & Jerry, Spongebob Squarepants, Pingu, or Hanna Montana. At least for now.
  • Sweets (candy, cookies, ice cream) are to be eaten only on weekends, and only once a day then, unless a special day is declared by me or my husband, either because of guests, a birthday party, or just because it's Tuesday and somebody wants to go out for Baskin Robbins.
  • Milk is to be the beverage of choice. Next is water. Juice and soda usually don't exist at home, unless we have had guests recently.
Am I too strict?

3 comments:

  1. No Hanna Montana??? You _are_ mean.

    Seriously though, I know I'm going to be the parent that lets his kid get away with anything. I hope I don't overcompensate by being too strict. I think your list sounds pretty well-defined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can my kids go and live with you? Please? Two out of 3 are potty-trained...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm definitely a meanie. Sharon, you're welcome to send your kids over to me, but they might hate me before the day's done... but then again I might just leave your two older ones in charge of the rest of the kids and then go out for a date night!

    ReplyDelete